Friday, July 24, 2009

Whatcha Doin' Harry

Funny, nobody commented and asked "why do you call your husband, whose name is clearly Dave, Harry..." I don't actually have an answer. Its just one of those things... I just thought I would mention it.

Today's Installment of “Woodworking with Harry” ;-) involves hand planes and draw knives. Below are several prized hand planes, all of which have been handed down.



From left to right… No 6, K5, Unmarked, No 78, No 65. Small Draw Knife. I do have a much larger draw knife as well as another block plane similar to the 65 but they are in the shop being refurbished at the moment. What is not pictured is an assortment of Hock blades. Have to say that although not cheap, the Hock blades are some of the best I have EVER seen… they are thick and will hold and edge like a scalpel. As part of the next few projects it’s likely that I will rely heavily on the No 6 for the mass of the plane in order to finish off some rough lumber that will be ripped by hand. Speaking of Ripping and Crosscutting…..Next episode will cover several styles of saws. Bonus segment on what I would consider the best all around chain saw.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

Callie Brady said...

I understand the Harry business. My family calls me Sarah sometimes. Just one of those things. I love tools too! And I love the rocker and the spinning wheel! Great posts!

Christine said...

My Engineer is turning green with envy over the hand planes. :)

Meadowlark said...

The name thing is one of my pet peeves. (Nothing against you guys, but it makes me crazy)

We had some people we knew in Okinawa and when we met the guy they introduced him as Mike. Later on, she called him Joey. Finally I said "did I get the name wrong" and she said, No, his name is Mike but his friends and family call him Joey.

Um, OK. Guess I know where I don't fit in ;)

So yeah... it's one of those things I just don't understand!