Monday, July 28, 2008

Update fun fun fun

It gets harder and harder to come back to work on Monday after I have spent all that time being happy and free... but alas, here I am updating you on how things went!

We got up to Shmoopywood on Friday evening and really when you get to camp on Friday's, the only thing there is to do is unpack and have yourself a Coors light (or 5). That is precisely what we did. The sky was completely LIT UP with stars Friday evening and we spent a great deal of time gazing at shooting stars and watching satellites go by. We are only about 80 miles from our other house and the difference in the sky is amazing, without light pollution you can even see the milky way. We had great weather all weekend with only one thunderstorm on Saturday late night so we had plenty of time to get stuff done.

Dave spent most of Saturday notching beams for the railing and carrying them up and down stairs to make sure the fit was right. This is a picture of the morning on on Saturday. By the end of the day, we were able to set the 10 foot beam at the top of the stairs. Side note: carrying a 16 foot beam up the side of the mountain is not easy but its much easier than carrying a cast iron bathtub.




We ended Saturday much in the same way we ended Friday, with some beers only not without the star gazing due to lack of sky ;0)

This is the way it looked by the end of day on Sunday. You can see the 10 foot beam kind of hides underneath that plywood we have resting against it. I should be a better photographer and move stuff but it was hot and I was tired ;). The handrails are fitted nicely into the notches that Dave worked so hard at. The bottom beam is still not cut but you can imagine what that will look like with a foot lobbed off the top.









Here is a picture of one of the corners where the handrail's are snugly fitted into the notches that Dave created, the second rail isn't in this picture but you can clearly see the notch that it is intended to fit into




We spend alot of time working when we are up there but we have also started to know people in our community. It has been an amazing experience but I will reserve the details for another post ;)

6 comments:

The Scavenger said...

Looks like Dave is a real handy guy to have around. I wish I had some of that talent. My mothers side of the family can build anything but sorry to say not much of that blood made it's way into my viens. lol I know you guys will be glad to get to the point where you can just go and relax. I'm looking forward to you getting there too....

Chris

Shmoopywood said...

You're right, sometimes we forget to just 'relax' when we are there. The only thing that saves us is that we enjoy seeing the progress. I am sure there is going to come a time when we wont be able to muster motivation from that singular thing ;).

Dave is very talented, he over-engineers everything but you know, when it is done, its going to stay there for a good long time! He enjoys working with wood. Its in his blood.
L

Shelley said...

I love seeing the progress - Dave should have his own "home improvement" show!

993C4S said...

Lisa,

I'm amazed at the amount of work you two get accomplished. I can't wait for you to really be able to sit back, relax and enjoy the place on a full-time basis.

John

Lisa said...

THanks John, truth is, when it is finally done my best guess is that we will find something else to work this hard on! Its who we are

Shellmo - i will tell him you said so. I bet he would agree!

Dave said...

Thank you for all the kind words ;-) I dont think I could ever be in front of a camera EVER, but love talking shop and in the last year have really enjoyed pushing the limits of my "non formal" woodworking.