Monday, March 29, 2010

It's Spring! (in my basement)

I have to be honest here although I have been myself, I really have been functioning this winter on a time limit basis. For whatever reason this winter has been especially hard on me and I have been sitting there waiting for it to be over. The time is up.

Now wait a second...

Do NOT get me wrong here, I love the seasons. That is why I live in New Hampshire! There is something I love about every single season. The things I love about Winter are the really cold snowy nights. When the temperature is in the 20's and there is a few inches (or feet) on the ground, if you walk at night while snow is falling, the world is so quiet. All you can hear is the sound of your feet crunching on the snow. We haven't had that. We have had really cold nights, cold and rainy nights, and we have had cold and 70mph wind nights which knock power out for almost a week. We have NOT had any cold and snowy nights. I am talking the full on 22 inch blizzard. No, instead the south got that.

But this isn't my point.

My family has done what we could to make it feel like spring for example, we hatched eggs in February.

I even started my seeds. Harry took our pantry shelves and installed grow lights on them for me so that every spring I can start out seeds indoors. (we live in New Hampshire and therefore I could not possibly start all the seeds we need direct sow into the garden. Photobucket
Although I know there are many others, the only plants we really direct sow are corn,green beans, peas, taters, garlic and radishes. I started all our tomatoes (beefsteak and cherry), cukes, Green peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, marigolds and some other herby type things. They are doing quite well but that doesnt show very well in my crappy cell phone picture so I am sorry.
Photobucket

But this psuedo winter that isn't really a Northern New England winter will not let go. I am losing my mind trying to think of things I can do to make spring come now. What have you all been doing to keep yourselves spring like?

3 comments:

Fleecenik Farm said...

Every warm sunny day I am outside going for a walk, raking the yard, pulling back mulch, keeping vigil over perennials.

Robin said...

I'm having spring fever too. I would love to be out in my garden but it keeps raining. Doesn't the rain know I have things to plant???? lol

DayPhoto said...

For some reason I have had a hard winter also.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/